About Us


Queen of the Family Retreat Center is a Catholic facility providing a warm, beautiful setting for you to encounter Christ.

Queen of the Family Retreat Center is nestled within a private wooded setting in Oxford, Michigan. We are dedicated to promoting and supporting a Christ-Centered spirituality by providing opportunities for people of all ages to know, love and serve Christ. We are a retreat center of the Archdiocese of Detroit, available for facility rental for groups.

Queen of the Family offers retreats for men, women, youth, and families. Our retreats are based on the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola and consist of guided meditations, Mass, opportunities for confession and spiritual direction. We also have activities for the youth including summer camps and mission opportunities for girls, young women, and young men.  Our facility is also open for rental for group events.

OURHISTORY


The mansion in Oxford, Michigan was designed by J. Philip McDonnell. On the 730 acres, there were seven spring fed lakes which contained speckled trout, bass, blue gill, perch, and pike. The land was home to partridges, quail, song birds, thousands of pheasants, hungarian partridges, and wild turkeys. Buildings consisted of 5 resident houses, farm buildings, and a blacksmith shop. Beyond the rose garden were tennis courts, a dairy barn, stables for horses and farm stock, 2 cement silos, employee garage, and greenhouse. The lake seen from the main house was named Cedar Lake. While living at Lakeview Manor, Marvin Coyle commuted to his job. In Detroit, Mr. and Mrs. Coyle were good friends with Cardinal Mooney of the Archdiocese of Detroit. Cardinal Mooney said Mass several times in the chapel, which is now the reception area. On March 19, 1948, fifty sisters were present when the chapel was officially blessed. Later that evening, a new Chevrolet station wagon arrived … a gift from Marvin Coyle.

HISTORICALTIMELINE



1928 | The Arbu Estates are Built

Built for Arthur H. Buhl of Detroit, capitalist and sportsman, 730 acres named Arbu Estates. Included was a smoking room with double doors that would open up to let in fresh air. This room was adjacent to the billiard room. Living quarters also included rooms for the butler, maids and other servants.


1936 | Arbu Estates becomes Lakeview Manor

The property was sold to Marvin E. Coyle, VP of General Motors, and renamed Lakeview Manor.

1948 | The Dominican Sisters purchased the Motherhouse

Dominican Sisters purchased and renamed their Motherhouse, St. Joseph Convent. From 1948-1998, they sold all but 44 acres to finance many additions such as a large chapel and a residence hall for college students.

1954 | Large Chapel is Built

Construction of the large chapel is completed in 1954 and enlarged in 1966.

1964 | DeLima Junior College is Opened

The DeLima Junior College is opened after classrooms and the large library are built.

1965 | Outdoor Stations & Novitiate Building are Completed

In 1965, the outdoor stations of the cross and novitiate building with new large dining room are added.

1968 | A Residence Hall and Wing are Built

A residence hall for 40 college students is built. A wing is added at the far end of the Motherhouse for a small chapel, large conference room, and 70 bedrooms for individual sisters.


1998 | Queen of the Family Retreat Center

In 1998, the Legionaries of Christ purchased the property and renamed it to the Queen of the Family Retreat Center.



MEET OURSTAFF